Summer is in full swing and there is nothing that I enjoy more than a patio, a glass of red wine and a delicious healthy salad! I want my salads to be yummy without compromising the “yummy mummy” shape that I am striving for!
Salads in restaurants can be deceiving. Just because you order greens does NOT mean it is healthy. In fact, some salads pack more of a caloric punch than a cheeseburger…Yikes!
I love tossing things up with my salads and try to replicate a delicious and healthy version of my fav’s.
Try Chef Erin’s delicious Santa Fe Chicken Salad for dinner tonight! Your taste buds and waist line will thank you 😉 Serves 4.
Cajun Chicken Breasts:
Rub 2 chicken breasts with olive oil; sprinkle chili powder liberally on both sides. Grill over medium high heat till cooked; slice diagonally into 1/4 ” wide slices.
Avocado Lime Dressing:
- 1/2 Ripe avocado
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp good olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Blend well in magic bullet
- 1/2 cup chopped Medjool Dates
- 2 small corn tortillas
- Olive oil to lightly crisp tortillas
- 4-5 cups mixed lettuce
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cob corn
- 1 can rinsed black beans
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Black olives to taste
- Slice corn tortilla into very thin strips and lightly crisp in olive oil; drain on paper towel until most of oil is removed, salt and set aside
- Cut fresh kernels from cob
- Place lettuce in large bowl; toss with enough dressing to lightly coat
- In a separate small bowl, stir together chopped dates, corn and drained black beans
- Add gently to lettuce
- Top with avocado, feta cheese, chicken slices, chopped peanuts and tortilla pieces
- Add a sprig of cilantro
Kelly, Erin, S & O xo